What is the IRIS research portal?
The Integrated Research and Innovation System (IRIS) is a web-based research portal that provides the research community with a standardized way to view and manage their research files, specifically as follows:
- View your own research files that are stored in the administrative research management system.
- Create and submit new applications related to research projects.
- Update your current research files.
The goal is to incorporate all types of research files and application forms in the integrated system (research ethics, animal care, radiation safety, biosafety, grants, intellectual property, etc.). The Office of Research Services is working with various committees and departments to implement the system in a phased approach. Here is a tentative plan for implementation:
- Research Ethics Board (REB) - Summer 2016
- Animal Care Committee (ACC) - Fall 2016
- Grants and awards - Winter/Spring 2017
- Radiation Safety - Summer 2017
- Biosafety - Summer 2017
By streamlining administrative processes related to research across committees and departments, applications move more efficiently through the various reviews and approvals processes, and the status of the application is always transparent for all users. In addition, a key advantage of the IRIS research portal is the ability for the research teams to work collaboratively on their applications.
IRIS is powered by Process Pathways and fully integrates with Romeo, UOIT's research management system. It is a Canadian-developed solution that is in use at many prominent universities and research institutes across Canada.