Thinking about starting a business? Just have an idea? Looking to join a startup team? Curious about entrepreneurship? If you answer yes to one or more of these questions, Brilliant Entrepreneurship is for you!
Brilliant Entrepreneurship is a non-academic program* that can help you develop and grow your inner entrepreneur. By providing entrepreneurial tools and skills such as workshops and bootcamps, incubation space, mentorship, networking and funding, we can help you grow and succeed.
Throughout the year, we offer:
- Workshops and sessions on developing entrepreneurial skills.
- Comprehensive and hands-on bootcamps.
- Specialized entrepreneurship-focused events (hackathons, networking events).
- Space at the Brilliant Incubator.
- Mentorship with industry experts.
Topics covered include:
- idea generation
- setting up your business
- market research and analysis
- entrepreneurial finance
Find out more by:
- Following us on Twitter at @UOITBrilliant or @FastStartUOIT.
- Registering for our FastStart events.
- Exploring student funding and competitions.
- Telling us about yourself at the FastStart registration page.
- Contacting us.
*If you are looking for academic entrepreneurship offerings by UOIT, the Faculty of Business and Information Technology provides the following:
- Undergraduate Entrepreneurship program (major and minor)
- Industry placements and entrepreneurship
- Faculty of Business and Information Technology - Incubator Program
The following local and governmental organizations also help start businesses and support entrepreneurship:
- Business Development Bank of Canada (BDC) Young Entrepreneur Award - This contest is for young business owners looking for resources to finance their company’s growth. The BDC is accepting applications for the latest edition of the BDC Young Entrepreneur Award. Canadian business owners aged 18 to 35 now have a chance to win a $100,000 grand prize and a second prize of $25,000 in consulting services.
- Business Advisory Council of Durham (BACD) helps launch and accelerate small business! We provide one-on-one consultation, as well as educational seminars, programs and mentors to help small business acquire the skills and knowledge to effectively manage and grow their businesses. BACD manages two youth programs:
- Summer Company for students between 15 and 29 years old in Ontario. This program starts in June or July and finishes by Labour Day. It provides up to $3,000 and hands-on coaching and mentoring.
- Starter Company for youth between the ages of 18 and 29 who are not students. This program provides advice and mentorship from local business leaders to help get your business up and running. It also provides startup money to kick off a new business or expand your current business.
- MaRS Discovery District helps entrepreneurs launch and grow companies with indepth training, resources, events and funding.
- Northumberland Community Futures Development Corporation (CFDC) provides loans of up to $250,000 for small and medium-sized enterprises. It is located in Cobourg and Peterborough. Its major programs including the Gaming and Entrepreneurship Lab, and two competitions: N100 and N1M.
- Ontario Centres of Excellence (OCE) supports the development of new technologies and has opportunities for support for early-stage projects. See their upcoming events and news pages for entrepreneurs and startups.
- Spark Centre promotes a culture of entrepreneurship in Durham Region and Northumberland County by helping innovative companies start, grow and succeed. It provides mentorship and other services to entrepreneurs.
- Venture Lab is a regional innovation centre supporting entrepreneurs in York Region, Simcoe County and Muskoka District with mentoring and partnering.